Product Development Leader (Footwear)
To co-ordinate the in-factory development of new design ideas from initial prototypes through to approved samples, pro-actively influencing decisions on product specifications and construction techniques to achieve cost targets, while ensuring that brand standards for product appeal and product quality are maintained. Manage the delivery of sample shoes to agreed timelines and provide accurate status reports at key stages throughout the development process. To work closely with the Commercialization leaders to assist as required and seek their assistance, allowing flexing of work load.
- To co-ordinate factory sample making and factory-based development work on new design ideas, ensuring that new styles are approved on time
- To manage the creation of product handover packages, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the information provided, to assist Commercialization as required to flex the roles i.e. Some commercialization work will be required at peak periods.
- To supervise the creation of sample shoes, ensuring that key aesthetic details and styling requirements are executed effectively in the finished product
- To initiate ideas for design, specification, and construction changes to reduce product cost without compromising the design concept
- To work with the costing team members to ensure costs are correct.
- To ensure that new materials and components are tested and approved against Employer's standards prior to being confirmed in product specifications
- To resolve any fitting problems with new design ideas, achieving a fit standard approved for the style approval transfer package.
- To co-ordinate sample sole mold making activities within product sign off deadlines
- To collaborate w/ Costing, Commercialization, and other team members to ensure that product is Developed and Engineered for successful commercialization and manufacturing with cost engineering principles employed.
- To supervise the work of team members
- Suppliers clearly understand the key requirements of new styles and produce sample shoes to demonstrate that they can achieve these requirements within agreed timetables
- A comprehensive package of information (including approved last & sole unit, sample shoe with Fit and wear approved agreed product specification & price) is prepared, checked, and approved prior to product handover
- The look, feel and performance of sample shoes matches the expectations of designers and product range managers
- Factory shoe prices are checked against cost targets. Any opportunities to reduce cost through changes in specification or construction method are identified and fed back into the product review process
- Where costs do not meet expectations, actions are agreed to resolve the problem
- LAB testing and Wear test analysis is completed as necessary for all new materials and components Test results are reviewed in conjunction with the intended end-use and clear decisions are taken about whether the material is acceptable for inclusion in a product specification
- Fitting test failures are discussed and analyzed to agree with the root cause of the problem
- Action plans are agreed to resolve the problem in preparation for the style approval transfer package.
- Sole design drawings are checked to ensure that design specifications are accurately represented and that Employer product assurance standards are built into the design
- Any technical problems associated with making the mold or molding the sole units as a result of the proposed design are resolved in advance of approving mold making
- Mold casting models are checked and approved
- Sample sole units are LAB tested and approved in preparation for the style approval transfer package.
- Work objectives are agreed upon with team members and performance against these objectives is regularly reviewed
- Support Ad-Hoc Development oriented Projects and/or reporting as assigned by the line manager